Maria Christina Navarro, soprano, has given recitals, orchestral guest appearances and opera performances in Switzerland, Austria, the United States and Philippines. Her most notable performances were with the Biel, Basel and Baden Theaters, Stadtorchester Solothurn, Children's Orchestra Society of New York, Kalamazoo Symphony, Pacific Symphony and the Filipino Artist Series. She has sung solos with the John Alexander Singers, Pacific Chorale, Cypress Masterworks Chorale, Orange Coast College Chorale and the Philippine Madrigal Singers. She was a former member of the San Diego Opera Ensemble. She sings with the Los Angeles Opera Education and Outreach Program, Opera Pacific and was an Artist in Residence of El Paso Opera in Texas.
Maria Cristina's repertoire includes the soprano solos for Faure's Requiem, Handel's Judas Maccabaeus and Messiah, Bach's Cantata #51, Vivaldi's Gloria, Mozart's Mass in Cm, Mendelssohn's Elijah, Schubert's Mass in G, and Orff's Carmina Burana among others.
She has performed the roles of Queen of the Night in Mozart's The Magic Flute, Serpina in Pergolesi's La Serva Padrona, Adina in Donizetti's Elixir of Love, Najade in Strauss' Ariadne auf Naxos, Bohnenblute in Britten's Ein Sommernachtstraum, Nerina in Haydn's Die Fischerinnen, Olympia in Offenbach's Les Contes d'Hoffmann and the Matchmaker in the world premiere of Los Angeles Opera's commissioned work On Gold Mountain by Nathan Wang and Lisa See.
Maria Cristina received her Bachelor's degree in Music, majoring in Voice at the University of the Philippines and her Diploma in Music Theater Studies at the Biel Conservatory in Switzerland. She was first prize winner in the National Music Competition for Young Artists in the Philippines. In Switzerland, she won the Migros Genossenschafts-Bund Studienpreis and first prize in the Elvira Luthi Wegmann Stiftung Vocal Competition.
WHAT THE CRITICS SAY:
- "Maria Cristina Navarro has an impressive, interpretative and technical ability with a sweet voice interpreting Delibes' Air des Clochettes." (Bieler Tagblatt, 06/95)
- "Ms. Navarro surprised the audience with her stratospheric notes and clear virtuoso lines. An amazing Olympia." (Der Bund, 10/95)
- "The Filipina was not only a coloratura specialist, but also was ideal as a doll in her role of Olympia. Her portrayal would always harvest special applause." (Badener Tagblatt, 12/95)
- "Ms. Navarro exuded a pinch of charm, wit, fun and coquettry. Her guest appearance with the Solothurn Orchestra has hypnotized the audience with her magical voice." (Solothurn Tagblatt, 01/96)
- "Soprano Maria Cristina Navarro turned in a superior performance, having crimson and burgundy timbres and velvety evenness ..." (The Orange County Register, 03/99)
- "Others included the gifted soprano Maria Cristina Navarro, whose effortless production and lustrous, satiny tone were angelic. The final arching high note in 'Arise now' was a marvel of floating luminescence." (The Orange County Register, 04/2003)